I always love a long holiday weekend, but there is something that touches my heart about Independence Day. We are so blessed to live in a country where we are free. Such an amazing blessing.
I waxed nostalgic yesterday as I remembered holidays' past. In the small town of Perry, UT where I grew up they have an all day long celebration. It begins with a breakfast, then a 3 block parade (which consists of all the LDS ward Primaries, local businesses, horses, and the local high school band.). They have softball tournaments and games like fish pond for the kids. The fest ivies continue at the community dinner where, depending on where you live, you bring either a side dish or dessert and the city provides the meat. Surprisingly, this small town celebration is still going on today, although it's not such a small town anymore!
When we were young, all the aunts, uncles, & cousins would gather for the festivities at the park then head to Grandma's for more games, food and fireworks before heading to Brigham City to watch the BIG fireworks. No matter who lit the "flowers", they always ended up chasing my dad--with the exception of the year he missed the festivities due to him playing Tarzan! :) Happy 22nd anniversary, Dad!!
So many great memories...so many things we have to be grateful for!
Now, Aaron and I are striving to find traditions and memories of our own for the holiday. We have yet to find anywhere around here that has a celebration like what I am used to. :) But then again, Aaron has been on call both years we have been here so we haven't been able to really search for the best celebrating spot much. We have started the tradition of making homemade raspberry ice cream since we have settled here in Colorado. Any other ideas you have??? Let us know!! :)
I hope everyone had a chance to reflect on the freedoms we enjoy and give thanks to those who made it possible.
4 comments:
Welcome to blogging! I don't have any great ideas for a 4th of July tradition here - but I'd be more than willing to consume your raspberry ice cream!! That sounds so good :).
Yay! I've been thinking about you lately...wondering how you're doing! I'm so glad I can stay in touch with you through your blog :)
Please let me know how things are going!
How's Ru?
Loved your blog!
My family checked out the 4th celebrations in Westcliffe one year. It was REALLY fun! A long drive to get there but a great place to enjoy that small town feel. Their fireworks were AMAZING!
Shoot...sorry, this is Alison, btw...Duh, you wouldn't know that by the blog name :)
Hey Guys!
I like your page. It will be great to be able to keep up with your busy lives. I would try it but I'm not very computer savey. I'm doing good to type one finger at a time!
Life is busy here too. Kolin and his family moved back to Utah from San Diego in April. That's been nice having them close. Grahm will be home from his mission on the 25th. I'm so excited! Life is good! I'm fat and happy! When are you coming for a visit? I would love to see you! Take care! Love you!
Post a Comment