My grandmother Wirick was amazing at embroidery. I have been blessed to have a couple of sets of dish towels she embroidered. I have been trying to figure out a way to keep them safe and to honor her legacy. My best friend is an AMAZING quilter and we came up with the idea of using them as quilt blocks. It will be a wall hanging for our nursery and our decor will center around it. (They are bluebirds.)
Let me say that I have NEVER pieced a quilt before. I'm still a little nervous, but it will be worthwhile. I'm so excited to have our family legacy for our baby to see. Yesterday, we went to a quilting store. Oh my! All the fabric! All the colors! I could go crazy trying to figure it all out. But what a great way to go CRAZY!!
I learned how to strip piece today which is super easy and super fun. I pieced together several block then we laid them out with the birds. Unfortunately, they didn't work the way I wanted them to. They were so fun and bright that they detracted from the central focus of the quilt--the birds. So, they will be the back of the quilt and now I have to start at square one for the front. No matter what I do, it will be amazing because my grandmother's work will be on display. It's hard trying to come up with just the right design to honor that. How blessed I am to have this memento of her!
I just have to say--I think I found my new addiction (I mean hobby!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment